Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Problem with inserting caption Word 2007

Gordon wrote:
"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
"Gordon" wrote in message
"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
The purpose of the Caption dialog box is to create *numbered*
captions.

Which is another example of MS hijacking the accepted meaning of a
word! The definition EVERYONE ELSE uses is a "title" for a picture
- a "numbered" caption should be an OPTION, but NOT automatic and
non-removable. How many people waste time (I've wasted an hour or
so this morning myself) trying to do something that MS defines in
an MS way and not what everyone else defines it as? I repeat,
arrogance in an enormous way.

Well, English is not my native language, so I really cannot comment
on this.

However, note that the people posting messages here do not work for
Microsoft.

interestingly, Open office has the same set up, with one MAJOR
difference - in the options for numbering, under Number format, there
is an option for NONE! How easy is that?

If you prefer Open Office - use that!
or
Insert the Caption then remove the number field. It's not rocket science