Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Problem with inserting caption Word 2007

A caption is just a text (your caption text) with a seq field added (the
number). Once inserted it can be edited in the document just like any other
text. Select the number (the seq field) and delete it.

Or insert all your captions with numbers and run the following macro to
remove all the numbers

Sub RemoveCaptionSeqNumbers()
ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = True
With Selection.Find
.ClearFormatting
.Replacement.ClearFormatting
.Text = "^d SEQ"
.Style = "Caption"
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
End With
ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
End Sub

Gordon wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Insert the Caption then remove the number field. It's not rocket
science

And would you care to explain exactly how to do that? I've spent
several hours this morning just trying to do that. I can find NO
explanation in Office help either local or on-line OR in Google on
how to do that.