Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Problem with inserting caption Word 2007

You have wasted more of your (and our) time whingeing about a function that
does what it is intended to do - rather than what you want it to do. This is
not how it works, nor ever has in Word - get over it!

Gordon wrote:
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Because the caption feature is intended to make it easy to apply
sequential
numbered captions for figures and tables. The "label" is "Figure 1"
or "Table 1" or a custom label such as "Exhibit 1."

That's absolutely fine - BUT, that function should be something the
user turns on IF they want it - it should NOT be automatic and by
default. Or, under Number formatting there should be an option for
none. I wasted at least an hour and a half of fruitless time
yesterday trying to find how to turn it off. There is NOTHING in
Office online Help about the fact that you can in fact just delete
the field after having created the caption.