Daiya Mitchell

Hmm...

If you are tracking changes, the footnote numbers will not sort themselves
out until you have accepted all changes.

By the way, what you have (I think) is a cross-reference next to a footnote.
Footnotes update without the user doing anything--Cross-References you have
to manually update by Select All (cntl-A), then hitting F9 to Update Fields.
But select all only selects main text, not headers, etc, so you might have
to do that multiple places. All that's just FYI, I think Track Changes is
causing the issue you reported. I'll have to remember that trick, although
using a field to get the Section number might have worked better.

Daiya

On 12/17/04 11:01 AM, "dcn1396" wrote:

Hi Daiya,

Yes we are using track changes.

Whoever first put in the original footnotes was pretty tricky. What I think
they did was insert them as a regular footnote 1, 2, 3, 4. Then they
manually typed the following code in front of the formatted number to get the
section number:

REF _Ref480250960 \r \t \* MERGEFORMAT

I accessed this code by highlighting the section number in the footnote,
right clicking, then selecting "Toggle Field Codes."