Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default 'rogue' styles?

Char styles can be produced when you apply a paragraph style to just part of
a paragraph. When you apply a style, be sure you either have the whole
paragraph selected or have the selection collapsed to just the insertion
point.

"JethroUK" wrote in message
I'm creating rather a large document

http://jethrouk.members.beeb.net/Ind...list%202.7.doc

I am using a table to keep the document in sections - I have also created
two indexes (front & back) to reflect the headings - originally I defined
the headings style as "Heading 1" so i can include this in my indexes

My problem/frustration is that without warning all the styles seem to
change to 'Char1' - They dont appear any different but it will not let me
change the style back to anything else - everything in the document is
'char1'

I spent the whole of today creating a brand new blank document - copied
all the text into notepad (only way to flush it out) - then copied it to
the blank document as 'normal' text - copy/pasted all the pictures back
in - reset all the bulleted text (one-by-one) - reset all the titles
(one-by-one) - created two new indexes - and now all the styles have
evaporated again - grrrrrrrrrrr!

1/ Whats going on?

2/ I often have to flush out 'rogue' text styles from an exhaustive
word doc - is there quicker way than copy to notepad - and copy back to
word (but retain tables/pics)?