Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Default moving table rows in word 2007

I am wondering/guessing: Did you press Ctrl+Return to insert page breaks in
the original tables in order to push rows to the next page page?

If that is the case, it could explain what happens. A page break splits a
table into two. If you move rows around, the page break may no longer fall at
the bottom of the page and this may make it obvious that you have more than
one table.

You can see the page breaks if you turn on non-printing characters
(Ctrl+Shift+8). If you click in a table and select Table Select Table,
you can also check how much is selected €“ the command selects an entire table.

If you need page breaks in a table, select all of or part of the row you
want to start on a new page. Then select Format Paragraph Line and Page
Breaks tab and turn on €śPage break before€ť. This will not split the table.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Andy Fish" wrote:

hmm, thanks for the tip - those keystrokes work without splitting the table

incidentally it seems that I was wrong about it happening every time - I
just created a new blank document and it didn't happen.

it has happened several times on different documents from different sources.
the only link i can find is that they were all large tables in landscape
mode which ran across several pages

Andy

"Lene Fredborg" wrote in message
news
What happens if you click in a row in the middle of a table (you do not
need
to select the entire row) and press Alt+Shift+Up Arrow or Down Arrow -
does
this also split the table?

Note that If the topmost row(s) are in the selection and if the table is
not
in the start of the document, this method will split the row(s) from the
original table.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Andy Fish" wrote:

Hi all,

This is one of those "it's so broken i must be getting the wrong idea"
things...

in word 2007 whenever i try to move some rows within a table, it splits
the
table into 3 tables - the rows before the ones I moved; the rows i moved;
and
the rows after. the 3 tables abut each other and I can't see any way to
join
them back together into 1 table.

This happens every time in every document - it's not just a one-off
corrupted table problem. it happens whether i use cut and paste or drag
and
drop.

the only way I can move or copy is to make space in the table by
inserting
new rows and then copy the contents by making sure I only select the
cells,
not the entire row (i.e. not selecting the end-of-row marker)

any clues please - am i missing a patch or something? this makes word
tables
unusable for me with office 20087

Andy