Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default page numbering

To put page numbers on the outside in the footer (not footnote), you need to
enable "Different first page" (File | Page Setup | Layout), then place the
page number on the left in the Even Page Footer and on the right in the Odd
Page Footer. In order to omit page numbers in a given section, you have to
unlink that footer from the preceding and following sections.

For more on how headers and footers work, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

"Alain" wrote in message
Dear all,

I need to create page numbers in the second and third sections of a
three-section file. Since I use footnotes (rather than insert-page
numbers),
it seems to be impossible to align page numbers on the outsides (like in a
book). Secondly, no matter how I try, I cannot erase page numbers from the
first section, without also erasing them from the other two.

thanks in advance!

kind regards,

Alain