Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Problem with frames in W2007

Oops, that was meant to be an answer to another thread. Sorry.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Before you print (which will update the INDEX field), press Ctrl+Shift+F9

unlink the field.

so
all may benefit.

"Steve Thackery" wrote in message
I'm getting into a right mess with text boxes and frames (and pictures,

in
fact). The Help facility seems almost useless when it comes to a

detailed
explanation.

I'm trying to understand:

1/ what is the difference between a text box and a frame?

2/ what exact effects do "lock anchor" and "move with text" have, and

when
should they be used?

3/ If I insert a picture, is it in a kind of invisible frame? I ask

because
it seems to have the same layout facilities.

4/ When I right click the picture and choose Insert Caption, the caption
seems to be in its own little frame (or is it a text box) even if the
picture itself isn't.

5/ When I move a captioned picture around, it leave the caption behind.

Is
this normal?

I'm writing a complex document with lots of pictures, each of which must

be
captioned with "Figure n....." It seems a nightmare deciding what type

of
text wrapping to use, and whether to "lock anchor" or "move with text".

I've tried creating a text box, changing it to a frame, and then putting

the
picture plus caption into it. That seems slightly easier and less

freaky
in
its behaviour.

But sometimes if I add some text earlier in the document, the text gets
moved along but the pictures stay behind. Other times I try to move a
picture to the required place in the text, and then when I release the

mouse
button the picture and/or the text jump all over the place, and makes a
right old mess. Sometimes two or three pictures land on top of each

other -
occasionally on a different page!

I realise I'm missing something fundamental about how to handle

pictures,
text boxes and frames, and I wouldn't expect anyone to give a lengthy
explanation or set of answers here. But can anyone recommend some sort

of
reference - either a book or online - which gives a really good

explanation
of this area?

Thanks in anticipation!

Steve