Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Weedon Jay Weedon is offline

Default Trouble opening any document

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 16:44:41 -0500, "Dawn Crosier, MVP"
wrote:

I know that this article refers to Office XP - but it is also relevant to
Office 2003.

The other thing to check are your add-ins:

Good Luck

Many thanks for your response Dawn. I do have NAV installed, but
cannot disable it (it's controlled from an institutional server) and
there's no file officeav.dll on my local machine.

The diagnostics in the add-in help page focus on the problem where you
can't start Word without an error occurring. I have no such problem -
if I start Word from the Start menu it cranks up right away. The issue
that I'm having is to do with double-clicking a .doc file - Word takes
literally minutes to start when I do this, regardless of which
document it is. Same problem for Excel.

JW