Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

Default hyperlink to template is opened instead of new document

I use it regularly.
Your link cannot be to the .dot file, but to the lnk file. There actually
has to be a .lnk file.
So, for instance, I had a shortcut to the file "MyTools.dot" The real name
of the shortcut, which I do not see, is MyTools.dot.lnk. The link is to that
file. You cannot insert this link by using Insert Hyperlink.

For another alternative, take a look at the TemplatesMenu that can be
downloaded from http://addbalance.com/word/download.htm.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"HyperNewDoc" wrote in message
Sorry Charles,

I am sending a shortcut to the desktop. For the hyperlink file name and
location; I manually entering "C:\Documents and
Settings\...\Desktop\shortcut
to file.dot" the extension was only changed because "dot" does not work.
Please try it yourself in MS Word 2000 running Windows XP Home w/SP2 with
all
latest updates.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Yes, the solution does work. However, you need to:
1) actually create a desktop shortcut (link) to the template - you can't
just change the name in the hyperlink, there has to be an actual shortcut
file
2) create the link to the shortcut, not to the file. This has to be done
manually. If you create the link using insert hyperlink, Word will
resolve
the shortcut to the actual file and insert a link to the file.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"HyperNewDoc" wrote in message
The problem: "In a Word Document I have a hyperlink to a template." has
similar problem as "In a web Browser". The on-line assistance directed
me
Q278627. This solution will not work for a word document hyperlink
running
Windows XP. I am looking for a solution where the individual is not a
web
designer but a "Word user". Renaming the shortcut extension to ".doc or
.lnk"
will open a new document with d-click in the windows explorer but when
called
from a Word hyperlink I get the error message "Cannot open the
specified
file." Can anyone direct me to a solution?

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

You need a hyperlink to a desktop shortcut or Mac alias, not to the
template. A hyperlink to a template opens the template. Re-read the
article
or see http://addbalance.com/word/templatesmenu.htm

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"HyperNewDoc" wrote in message
In a Word Document I have a hyperlink to a template.
The Template is opened instead of a new document.
I Followed Article ID : 278627 Last Review : September 8, 2005
Revision
:
2.0

Would someone setup the same Scenario and verify that this can be
done.
If it can I need directions. The shortcut resolves to that actual
template
even if i type in the shortcut path and shortcut name.