Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
GaryNSHC GaryNSHC is offline

Default Merging Access data into a Word document

Peter,

As far as I know:

I believe it is Word 2000, and again my apologies, there is no comma between
the values (hangover from coding excel IF statement).

I think the data source is exported as a file (merge.888) which is then used
to create the merge document. I don't think it is directly linked with Access.

The values are always -1 or 0 depending on what the source data in access
is, depending on whether I am trying to merge one record or all records. I
have about 15 access fields with "Yes" or "No" answers which are being
merged. The fields indicate what activities the person participates in within
our organisation.

I'll try quoting the meregfield and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for trying to sort this out for me.

Regards

Gary

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

If I have just:
{mergefield MAACTeam} I get either "0" or "-1" depending on whether it
should be "YES" or "NO".

Is this actually -1 for Yes and 0 for No (in which case are you using Word
2000 or earlier and/or connecting using DDE? AFAIK the values Word receives
are as follows:

Connection method "Yes" "No"
DDE -1 0
ODBC 0 1
OLE DB True False

When you say "works for a single record" what are you doing differently? Do
you mean you are connecting to a different data source that only has one
record, are you using the same table/query as the data source in both merges
and changing the query criteria for one of them? Or what? Also, are the
Yes/No results for just

{ mergefield MAACTeam }

always -1 and 0, or do they actually differ depending on whehter you are
doing 1 record or many records?

Also, are you really using "FALSE" rather than "False"? Can we assume that
you have not got commas in your IF field? Do you have a bookmark called
False in your Mail Merge Main Document or any included file? Does it make
any difference if you quote the mergefield, e.g.

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD MAACTeam }" = "0" "No" "Yes" }

Peter Jamieson

"GaryNSHC" wrote in message
My apologies, I am using an IF condition as well as a MERGEFIELD.

The one which works in a single record is:
{IF {mergefield MAACTeam} = "0", "No", "Yes"} and I get "NO"
if I change = "0" to either = "TRUE" or = "FALSE" I get "YES" which is
incorrect.

The one which works for all records is:
{IF {mergefield MAACTeam} = "FALSE", "No", "Yes"} I get either "YES" or
"NO"
if I change = "FALSE" to either = "0" or = "-1" I get "YES" for all
records
which is incorrect.

If I have just:
{mergefield MAACTeam} I get either "0" or "-1" depending on whether it
should be "YES" or "NO".

Hope this clarifies the problem being encountered.

Regards

Gary

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

What exactly does {Mergefield name} produce when inserted without a
condition?

GaryNSHC wrote:
I am using this piece of code and am having a little problem with my
mergefields not picking up the correct value for a YES/NO field.

If I use {mergefield name ="false" ...} it doesn't work with single
records but does when I use all records.

BUT ..

When I use {mergefield name = "0" ..} it works for single records but
not for all records.

Whichever way I go, I can't seem to get the word template to pay ball
correctly whether I use a single record or merge all records.

Has anyone else come across this, and if so, how was it resolved?

Regards

Gary

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

See the "Super Easy Word Merge" item at