Word 2002 was slipshod about saving user settings, and Word 2003 seems to be
even worse. I put this down to the SDI introduced in Word 2000. I frequently
find that a document will open at the Zoom of the document I have just
closed, as if it were inheriting the settings from the window itself. In
Word 2002, I had the devil of a time getting Word to remember that I wanted
to open certain documents at 105% Zoom. Word 2003 usually gets that right,
but when I start Word (which is supposed to be in Normal view, 100% Zoom,
with the ruler displayed), it frequently opens in Print Layout view and/or
without the ruler and/or at 105% Zoom. sigh

"DSL-Dave" wrote in message
Hi Suzanne,

Yes, and I seem to notice that Word has a mind of its own when starting,

as
it (sometimes) comes up in outline view, even though I last closed it in
Normal view!

______
Dave

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Word does occasionally change some settings behind your back (seemingly

keep you on your toes), but I've not ever heard of that being one of

them,
and most of the mysterious changes are usually wrought by poorly written
add-ins. The only Options change that I know for sure Word will make on

its
own is turning on "Picture placeholders" when the graphics load becomes
unbearable. And of course if you have "Background repagination" disabled

in
Normal view, it will be reenabled when you switch to Print Layout view.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"DSL-Dave" wrote in message
Hi Suzanne,

Yes, I had missed your answer, and have been distracted by some nasty
spyware.
You are absolutely correct! The strange thing is that I NEVER changed

that
option!
It is possible that this weird spyware (STARTIUM) may have caused it,

as
saw some other strange things happening, as well.

I deselected the draft font checkbox and all is well again.

Many thanks to all who responded.

------
Dave

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Since I posted the same answer twice, both before you posted...

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
Suzanne

No. Strangely, it wasn't there when I synchronised this morning,

but
it
was
when I next synchronised after running through and replying to

(very)
few
messages. However, I can see exactly why you may think so!

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: Are my posts in this thread invisible?
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: You must have draft fonts enabled using Normal View?
:
: Terry
:
: "DSL-Dave" wrote in message
: ...
: :
: : "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: : ...
: : Rename normal-1.dot to normal.bad or normal.old. It is the

.dot
: extension
: : that you need to remove to stop Word from seeing the

template.
: :
: : --
: : Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: : http://word.mvps.org/
: :
: : "DSL-Dave" wrote in

message
: : ...
: : :I am using Word 97 under Win98se, and I just had a

problem
where
: can
: no
: : : longer change fonts, font sizes or

bold/italic/underline.
: : : I initially received an error message that normal.dot

was
corrupt,
: and
: : Word
: : : could not repair it.
: : : I renamed normal.dot to normal-1.dot, but that didn't

help.
: : : I tried changing the default font to Tahoma and saving

it
: : template,
: : : but that didn't work either.
: : : I tried searching for the original normal.dot template

on
my
install
: : disk,
: : : but couldn't find it.
: : : I tried searching the Knowledge Base, but couldn't find

solution
: : there,
: : : either!
: : : Can someone help me restore Word (without having to
re-install!)?
: : :
: : : Thanks,
: : :
: : : --------
: : : Dave
: : :
: : :
: :
: :
: : Thanks to all, but no luck so far!
: : I renamed the template to normal.bad and Word created a new
normal.dot,
: but
: : still the same problem.
: : Here are a few new clues:
: : The printer driver works fine and as a matter of fact, the
printout
DOES
: : show changes in font size, style, etc.
: : WordPad works correctly.
: : It appears to only be the DISPLAY of the text in Word that

has
been
: munged.
: : All other text displays correctly, elsewhere.
: : Could it be a display driver that is only used in Word that

got
: trashed???
: :
: : At least I know I can do printouts correctly, for now!
: :
: : Dave
: :
: :