Robert M. Franz

Hi Jann

Jann wrote:
I cannot change the setting for indentation. It's now on
10 spaces and I want it to indent 7 spaces. I've tried
Tabs under the Paragraph command in Format, Tools and
AutoFormat, moving the ruler (which Word Help directed me
to do), but that just messed up my right margin. One
suggestion was to place the cursor in from a a paragraph
and then press the Tab key. But that just pushed my text
forward.

Since you're posting in .longdocs here, I assume that's what you're
working with. I then strongly suggest that you change all of your
indents (and most anything else) through styles and not through direct
formatting.

That said, to change an indet, change the style through Format | Styles
| chose style | Format | Paragraph: Left your prefered indent.

If you have Word 2003 or (IIRC) 2002, then you do that through the
styles and formatting task pane.

One more question, please: every time I indent with the
tab key, a little box appears with what looks like a
yellow lightning icon. This icon blocks the characters
under it and to remove it, I have to make some change to
another paragraph, such as backspacing, etc.

Sounds like a SmartTag. It's Word's way of showing you that it has just
decided that you didn't really want to have a tab-character inserted,
but an indent. You might change some of the things Word "guesses" via
the "AutoFormat as you type" settings. But I repeat: This is direct
formatting, and its use is highly discouraged in long documents.

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS