Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] LadyDungeness@Fish.Net is offline

Default Headers locked out

Hi Beth - I've tried both methods. I've also found something new:

If I Insert PageNumber, then I can click on the text box holding the page number, and use the delete key to delete it, delete
the page number itself, and then delete again (looks like I'm deleting nothing), and then the header bounding box appears and
I'm inside the header and can use it normally from now on!

I have to do this for each document.

Is there an explanation?

Lady Dungeness
Out of Danger until September
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

On Sun, 25 May 2008 11:15:34 -0500, "Beth Melton" wrote:

How are you trying to access the header? Are you using View/Header and
Footer? Are you trying to double-click the header area in the document? If
the latter then this method won't work if the header is empty. You can only
double-click to edit the header in Word 2002 if a header already contains
content.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

wrote in message
.. .
On some of my documents, I cannot access the Headers or Footers section.
I'm in Print view and I want to add a header. I
cannot get into that part of the document! It's like I'm locked out.
There are not any headers in the document yet.
I'musing Word XP.