Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
BruceB BruceB is offline

Default Insert autotext table at top of document

On Oct 22, 5:42*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Not necessary. See my reply.

"BruceB" wrote in message

On Oct 22, 2:07 pm, "Robert M. Franz (RMF)"
wrote:

Hello Bruce

BruceB wrote:
I am using a Word 2003 document to track changes to a software
project. Each time a new version of the project is released I want to
insert an empty table at the top of the document for each developer to
summarize their changes from the previous version. I would also like
each table inserted to start on a new page. I have determined that I
should use autotext to do this and have added the table I want to use
as an autotext entry. My autotext entry consists of a table, then a
section break (next page), and then a paragraph mark. However I am
having trouble inserting this autotext at a new page at the beginning
of the document without ending up with paragraph marks I don't need.
The very 'topmost' object in the current document is a table. What I
have to do now to get this to work is to open the document, press ctrl-
home to position cursor at beginning of document, then press enter to
start a new paragraph, then insert my autotext. Is there a way to do
this without having to start a new paragraph at the top of the
document? Also, when I insert my autotext table at the top of the
document, I end up with two paragraph marks at the top of the second
page which I then must delete. Is there a way to prevent these?
Thanks for any help/suggestions.

I'd probably setup my AutoText to include a heading before the table.
And tell the heading (style) to "Page break before" (paragraph
property). That way, the document will start with one of these headings..
And you should be able to place your cursor before the first character
of it and insert the AutoText.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply. *If by 'include a heading' you mean 'add an
additional line of text', yes, I suppose I could do that but I don't
really have anything to say there...and if I simply put a blank line
as a heading I am back where I started *I could possibly convert
the top row of the autotext table to a line of text. *I will consider
this.

I think I have managed to get it a little better in that I have
managed to include only my table and section break (next page) in the
autotext, leaving off the trailing paragraph mark. *I still have to
cursor to the beginning of the document and manually start a new
paragraph before inserting my autotext, then go back and delete that
new paragraph from the top of the second page after inserting the
autotext. *Ah well...life could be worse. *Thanks again!

Bruce

I've done away with the section break at the end of my autotext and
formatted the first row as you described and that seems to work well.
I still have to start a new paragraph at the top of the document but
that's not a huge price to pay. Thank you!

Bruce