Venky62 Venky62 is offline
Junior Member

It is a little tricky. The caption numbering changes for all the pictures, if you set a new chapter number for a picture you have just added.

Best is to add all the captions at the end, after you have placed all your pictures and written all your text.

Then insert caption under each picture and link to the appropriate heading. but you will see as the Heading level changes for later pictures the captions for pictures before that change to the same heading level. Doesn't matter. Finish adding all captions.
Then press Alt +F9
The field codes of the captions are revealed. It will be like this in word 2010:
{StyleRef 3\s}.{SEQ Figure\ * ARABIC \s 3}

Now the number 3 (at both places) here is the heading level. It will change according to the heading level under which the image has been placed. It will be 1 for Heading 1, 2 for Heading 2 and so on. If this number is different from the heading level it should be, change it to correct heading level. Once you have done this for all captions, then press Alt+F9 to hide all field codes. Select the entire document by Ctrl+A and Press F9 to update all fields. You should have the correct numbering of your captions.

It is a little tedious, but I do not know any simpler way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Berto View Post
Hi everybody!
First I apologize, but my Word is not in english, so I don't know the correct english terms to describe the problem.

I'm writing a document, here an example:

1. Word processors under Windows S.O.

(here goes the test)

1.1 Microsoft Office Word

(here goes the text)

1.1.1 Microsoft Office Word 2003

(here goes the text)
(here goes image 1)
(here goes the text)
(here goes image 2)

1.1.2 Microdoft Office Word 2010

(here goes the text)
(here goes image 3)

I correctly format the document to obtain automatically 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.2 prefix before title.
Now I want place text below images to make summary.
If I insert the text below images I can have these results:

Image 1 or Image 2, then I can place description.
If I use chapter numbering I have Image 1.1 or Image 1.2.

But in my case I need this format: Image 1.1.1.1 for first image, Image 1.1.1.2 for second image, then Image 1.1.2.1 for third image.

Automatically I can have only chapter numbering prefix (1.x) instead full numbering (1.1.1.x).

Is it possible or this function is not available on Word?
Thanks.