Tim

Word 2002.

I tried the suggestion below and it does allow me to hyperlink the
cross-reference to the caption, but it doesn't allow me to do what I really
want. I want the Table number to automatically update if I insert a new
table. As it is now, whenever I add a new table, all the table captions
increment, but the cross-references stay the same. Everything gets out of
sync and I have to manually increment all the cross-referenced Table numbers.
This is no good. How can I link the numbers themselves so that the track
each other?

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

What version of Word?

In Word 2003, insert your table numbers using Insert - Reference - Caption.

Then, for references to them, use Insert - Reference - Cross Reference.

This will ensure that table numbers and references to them remain linked.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Tim" wrote in message
I have a document with a lot of tables. For each table, I have references
which I would like to tie to the table number. The problem I have now is
that
if I add a new table then all the table numbers increment, but my