Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Willett[_2_] Tom Willett[_2_] is offline

Default dotted lines

Eggheader: Did you even bother to read this thread which gave the answer
before you hijacked it?

Vickie Tuck wrote in message ...
:I am getting those dotted lines as well after using an asterik to make a
line. However, I am not able to get rid of them. Any suggestions?
:
: Thank you,
: Vickie Tuck
:
:
:
: Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
:
: That's assuming it is not just a page break.--Suzanne S.
: 08-Feb-10
:
: That's assuming it is not just a page break.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: http://word.mvps.org
:
:
: On Monday, February 08, 2010 5:26 AM
: Marcus M wrote:
:
: Dotted line to remove
: I have just been editing a multi-page word document and something I did
has
: made a dotted line appear. It goes across the page from margin to margin.
: Whatever I do to try to remove it does not seem to work. The line was not
in
: the original so some I assume some key or setting I have touched has done
it.
:
: The Word I am using is MS Office Word 2007 - something I find is a lot
more
: fiddly than the older version I have used for years.
:
: Any help would be appreciated.
:
: Thank You.
:
: On Monday, February 08, 2010 5:30 AM
: Graham Mayor wrote:
:
: See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CantGetRidOfLine.
: See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm
:
: --
:
: Graham Mayor - Word MVP
:
: My web site www.gmayor.com
: Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
:
:
: On Monday, February 08, 2010 9:29 AM
: Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
:
: That's assuming it is not just a page break.--Suzanne S.
: That's assuming it is not just a page break.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: http://word.mvps.org
:
: On Monday, February 08, 2010 11:37 AM
: Marcus M wrote:
:
: Thank you both for your prompt response.
: Thank you both for your prompt response.
:
: Graham: I have followed the link you sent - it does not work for me.
:
: Suzanne: I see you as one of the co-authors. I recall I was looking at
page
: breaks when the line first appeared. Does that help?
:
: Regards
:
: Marcus
: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
:
: On Monday, February 08, 2010 1:31 PM
: Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
:
: "Soft" page breaks are displayed (in Normal view) as a dotted line when
: "Soft" page breaks are displayed (in Normal view) as a dotted line when
you
: have nonprinting characters displayed. "Hard" (manual) page breaks are
: displayed in all views as a dotted line with the words "Page Break" in the
: center.
:
: But if this dotted line is a border, you may have to remove it from
several
: successive paragraphs before you get rid of it entirely.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: http://word.mvps.org
:
: On Tuesday, February 09, 2010 2:14 PM
: Marcus M wrote:
:
: Hello again,The position now is this.
: Hello again,
:
: The position now is this.
:
: I tried again and followed all your recommendations and also went through
: all the Help answers in Word. No success so I did it the hard way, by
saving
: what I could, retyping the faulty bits and merged them so I now have a 30
: page story that is as I wrote it.
:
: However, doing this I stumbled across what caused the problem.
:
: At one point I inserted *** between paragraphs as a marker denoting a
scene
: change in what I wrote. I centred (UK spelling) the break and immediately
: dotted line appeared. I was able to remove it by clicking on the 'undo
: typing' icon.
:
: I experimented further and found that anytime I put in 3 or more *
asterisks
: - left, right or centre made no difference - the line appeared.
:
: That may help you both in future with some other questioner.
:
: So, my problem is solved by a combination of re-doing and by stumbling on
: the cause.
:
: Many thanks for your help.
:
: Regards to you both.
:
: Marcus.
:
:
:
: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
:
: On Tuesday, February 09, 2010 4:25 PM
: Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
:
: If you had actually read the article Graham referred you
to(http://word.mvps.
: If you had actually read the article Graham referred you to
: (http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm) and followed
the
: directions there, then you would already have known this and would long
: since have solved the problem.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: http://word.mvps.org
:
: On Tuesday, February 09, 2010 4:50 PM
: MikeB wrote:
:
: thegh30lyonnat
: the
: gh
: 30
: ly
: on
: n
: at
:
: On Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:25 PM
: Gordon wrote:
:
: Works OK here...
: Works OK here...
:
: On Tuesday, February 09, 2010 6:09 PM
: Terry Farrell wrote:
:
: Works here too...--Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
: Works here too...
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
:
: On Tuesday, February 09, 2010 7:05 PM
: Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
:
: The site was down earlier today; it is back up now.--Suzanne S.
: The site was down earlier today; it is back up now.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: http://word.mvps.org
:
:
: Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
: DataContractSerializer Basics
:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...alizer-ba.aspx