Klaus Linke

You're right. One more special rule to remember ;-)

Klaus

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:
Hi Klaus
=20
I've just tested this again to be absolutely sure - applying a =

paragraph=20
style over a paragraph with majority (even 100%) character style =

formatting=20
doesn't remove the character style on my system (Word 2003). I'm =

pretty=20
certain it has been like this since 97 or 2000, because I remember=20
explaining it to someone while working up some company templates at =

least 4=20
years ago.
=20
Of course, if you only select part of a paragraph and apply the =

paragraph=20
style, you do override the character style with the =

paragraph-as-character=20
style (aka the built-in linked char style).
=20
--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
=20
"Klaus Linke" wrote in message=20
Hi Margaret, Stu,
=20
I don't think it works that way, unfortunately. You loose character =

styles=20
just as easily as manual character formatting :-(
If more than 50% of the characters are formatted (manually or with a=20
character style), the formatting will be removed by applying the =

paragraph=20
style. It's a terrible nuisance, and there should be an option to turn =

off=20
this AutoFormatting.
=20
Word2003 has introduced link styles (also known as Char styles). But I =

hate=20
them, and usually try desperately to get rid of them.
The idea is to create a character style, and link that character style =

to a=20
paragraph style. The paragraph style's font formatting will be defined =

by=20
the character style, and the character style will no longer appear in =

the=20
list of styles. If you apply a paragraph style to a part of a =

paragraph,=20
Word will apply the linked character style behind the scenes.
Seems to me that this just complicates matters without any benefit at =

all.=20
I've never in 10 years (working with Word almost daily) felt the need =

to=20
apply a paragraph style to part of a paragraph, so it seems like a =

solution=20
to a problem that nobody has.
=20
BTW, one stupid gotcha to look out if you try Alt+Shift+Left/Right: It =

won't=20
work on the very first paragraph, probably because Word wants to teach =

you=20
that yu can't have a level 2 paragraph without a level 1 paragraph =

above it.
=20
Regards,
Klaus
=20
=20
=20
"Margaret Aldis" wrote:
If you explicitly want to clear out all font formatting, then select =

the
whole para, apply the para style, and then press Ctrl-space (default
paragraph font). That will remove all direct font formatting and all
character style formatting.

The best way of stopping Word ever changing font formatting without =

your
asking is to use character styles rather than direct formatting - =

even if
you have the whole paragraph in Strong style, say, that won't be =

removed
(compare to when the whole para is in bold direct formatting - if you =

select
the whole para the bold will be overwritten by the style font.)

You are also safe from Word being "smart" if you don't select any =

text=20
when
applying the style, and if you only use direct formatting for the odd =

word
or two - not for bolding whole paragraphs.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
My main problem in doing it this way is that sometimes I WANT that
action to apply the styles real formatting in various parts of the =

para
(eg. if it started out in some other style), while othertimes I WANT
the existing formatting preserved (eg. bolded text). I think Word is
tyring to be smart in guessing what I'm wanting in each case, but =

I've
yet to be convinced.

=20

=20