Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lenny Lenny is offline

Default Using Formulas in a Table

Macropod: something that might help new users....
Unlike Excel which can have absolute, relative and mixed cell references,
Word table cells use absolute cell references, when merged, they take on the
cell reference to the left. There is a very handy tool that comes as an
'add-in' with Word called Table Cell Helper. Click inside any single or
merged cell and it provides a pop-up with the cell location (A13, BB1 etc)
within the table as well as the number of columns and rows in the table.
Very handy when identifying cells to include in calculations. It can be added
to your Normal template making it available to all Word files. Regards -
Lenny

"macropod" wrote:

Hi TJ

Unlike Excel, Word tables don't automatically recalculate. You can get
calculations in a document to update automatically when they're in a document
protected for forms and:
1) at least one of the inputs for the calculation is gained from a formfield;
and
2) the formfield's properties are set to 'calculate on exit'.

The calculation fields can be created by pressing Ctrl-F9 to create the field
(denoted by a pair of field braces (ie '{ }')) and:
3) if the calculation only references cells within the table, inputting the
formula along the lines of '=A1*B1' between the field braces; or
4) if the calculation references fields outside the table, inputting the
formula along the lines of '=BkMrk1*BkMrk2' between the field braces, where
'BkMrk1' and 'BkMrk2' are the formfield bookmark names.
You can also use '=BkMrk1*A1' if the calculation references cells within the
table and fields outside the table.

For more information on tables and calculations in Word, check out my Word
Field Maths 'tutorial', at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442

Cheers

--