Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default large brackets/braces

Oh my. I had completely forgotten about all the amazing things that
can be done with EQ fields.

Richard, try this (using Ctrl+F9 to create the pairs of field
brackets; the bracket that follows \b\lc\ is just a typed bracket):

{ EQ \b\lc\{({ EQ \a\al (This is line one,This is line two)}) }

If you can't find the topic on the EQ field in the Word help (if you
have Word 2007, it either isn't there or isn't indexed), it's online
at
http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...respos=14&rt=2

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:13:06 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
wrote:

Not to toot my own horn, or anything, but if you'll have a look at my
chapter "Chomsky 1951a and Chomsky 1951b" in the just-published
*Chomskyan (R)evolutions*, ed. Douglas Kibbee (Benjamins, 2010),
you'll find that I've transcribed some of the incredibly complicated
formulas from Chomsky's M.A. thesis (as published, they were simply
done with a typewriter and handwritten braces etc.) into Word fields.

No one in the last fifty years of linguistics has used formulas as
complicated as those, but once you understand how the field codes
work, their construction is quite straightforward.

Word used to come with a "Manual" that contained an Appendix
explaining every field option and all the parameters of every switch.
(The material doesn't appear to be preserved anywhere within the Help
system.) To left-align inside a brace, you just add a parenthesis with
the appropriate label.

On Mar 29, 10:55*am, Richard
wrote:
Is there any way to get large (2 or more lines) brackets into a word 2007
document WITHOUT using the equation function.

I need large brackets for linguistic notation and I also need to be able to
control formatting within the brackets without being constrained by the
equation function.

The main problem with the equation formatting is that the text will always
be aligned to the centre within the brackets and I want it aligned left.

Thanks for any help.