Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default large brackets/braces

Made me laugh!

On Mar 30, 5:10*pm, "Jay Freedman" wrote:
Just guessing... Not enough complaints?

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
That does explain a lot ... but is there a reason they haven't fixed
it in four years?

On Mar 30, 10:53 am, "Jay Freedman" wrote:
The entire set of help topics about specific fields can be reached
from the
Field Reference page
athttp://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/CH061047231033.aspx. This
is a copy of the corresponding section of the offline help from Word
2003.

I know from conversations that the Office documentation team is
severely
understaffed. It's my understanding that they expected to re-use the
Word 2003 field topics for Word 2007 because nothing had changed;
but the Word 2007 help indexing mechanism was never told to look in
the Word 2003 online
help for fields. As a result the material is invisible to Word,
although
Google can find it.

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
Kewl ... that, IIRC, is a tiny part of the Appendix to the Word 5.0
Manual. Is more of it to be found elsewhere?

For Richard, the left/right/center alignment in the braces is
covered under "Array."

On Mar 29, 8:49 pm, Jay Freedman wrote:
Oh my. I had completely forgotten about all the amazing things that
can be done with EQ fields.

Richard, try this (using Ctrl+F9 to create the pairs of field
brackets; the bracket that follows \b\lc\ is just a typed bracket):

{ EQ \b\lc\{({ EQ \a\al (This is line one,This is line two)}) }

If you can't find the topic on the EQ field in the Word help (if
you have Word 2007, it either isn't there or isn't indexed), it's
online
athttp://office.microsoft.com/assistance/hfws.aspx?AssetID=HP0518614810...

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:13:06 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"

wrote:
Not to toot my own horn, or anything, but if you'll have a look at
my chapter "Chomsky 1951a and Chomsky 1951b" in the just-published
*Chomskyan (R)evolutions*, ed. Douglas Kibbee (Benjamins, 2010),
you'll find that I've transcribed some of the incredibly
complicated formulas from Chomsky's M.A. thesis (as published,
they were simply done with a typewriter and handwritten braces
etc.) into Word fields.

No one in the last fifty years of linguistics has used formulas as
complicated as those, but once you understand how the field codes
work, their construction is quite straightforward.

Word used to come with a "Manual" that contained an Appendix
explaining every field option and all the parameters of every
switch. (The material doesn't appear to be preserved anywhere
within the Help system.) To left-align inside a brace, you just
add a parenthesis with the appropriate label.

On Mar 29, 10:55 am, Richard
wrote:
Is there any way to get large (2 or more lines) brackets into a
word 2007 document WITHOUT using the equation function.

I need large brackets for linguistic notation and I also need to
be able to control formatting within the brackets without being
constrained by the equation function.

The main problem with the equation formatting is that the text
will always be aligned to the centre within the brackets and I
want it aligned left.

Thanks for any help.