Stefan Blom

OK, it *is* a bit odd. For what it's worth, this undocumented feature is not
available in Word 97; it was introduced in Word 2000.

Stefan Blom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I was just leery of this, since obviously using "li" doesn't
(semi)permanently change the unit to lines, but "line" evidently does.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
You need to type a value, specifying "pt" for the unit, instead.

--
Stefan Blom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Ah, now that *is* an interesting discovery. What do you have to do

to change
it back to points?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
I'm aware of the ability to use different units. For example, in
Word 97, I find it very convenient to type (say) "3 cm" when
specifying a fixed height for a table row in the Cell Height and

Width
dialog box, rather than to accept the default unit of measurement,
which is points.

Any typed number + unit in the Cell Height and Width dialog box

will
be converted to the default unit by Word. Similarly, if I type "2

li"
for Space Before, Word converts it to 24 pt.

However, if I type "2 line" that unit will stick the next time I
open the dialog box. There's the observation I made.

--
Stefan Blom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
In most boxes of this type you can enter a measurement in any

unit
providing
you include the unit (and Word is much more forgiving than FP on
that, I've
found). I believe "li" is the basic abbreviation for "lines."

You
can also
enter pt (or pts, I think) and either in or " for inches. Word

will
then
convert to whatever unit is the default for that box. This is
especially
handy for table row height and Space Before/After, where (as

you've
discovered) you can enter lines and Word will convert to points.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
But note that it *is* possible to specify lines even for Space
Before/Space After, which I discovered by accident in Word

2000.
For
example, if you type "2 line" (yes, it shouldn't be plural) in

the
"Space Before" box, you'll get 2 lines (or 24 pt) of paragraph
spacing
above.

--
Stefan Blom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Well, as pointed out, some of the Line Spacing settings are

in
lines
and
some in points (by their nature).

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in

message
Hi Jean-Guy,

It's also possible that we're talking about different
things.
There
are some measurements in the Format Paragraph dialog

that
do
show
lines. I thought we were discussing Space Before/After
(points), but

Yes, that it was I thought as well!

OK, I just went back and read the original question again.

The
OP
starts
by saying paragraph spacing, but then later specifies
Format/Paragraph/Line Spacing. So things seem to be

consistent
me?

Cindy Meister