The usual reason for duplicate listings is a manual page break preceding the
heading. Instead of using a manual page break, apply the "Page break before"
property to the heading.

The TOC should not be listed in the TOC. The only way around this is to
apply a different heading style (not Heading 1, say) with an outline level
of Body Text. I usually define a TOC Head style and use it for the Contents
head and other similar ones I don't want included in the TOC. You can omit
specific styles, even if they have a TOC outline level defined, but you
can't omit specific paragraphs in a style that is otherwise included.

"Zimran Douglas" wrote in message
I generated a Table of contents in word 2003 using the insert T.O.C menu
and I accepted the default
The first page of my document is a cover page with no heading and no page
number.
I also have 2 sections in my document, front matter numbered (i,ii..) and
body (1,2,3...)

The second page is the TOC (ii), the problem is that the TOC list the TOC
twice with page numbers i, and ii
I have to manually delete the entry but every time I update the TOC it
returns.

Further down I have another page in the fronmatter that is also listed

twice
in the TOC, however this time
it is listed time with the same number i.e. Conventions.... iv and
Conventions....iv

How can I calarify this problem without having to manually delete the

extra
entries everytime I update the TOC

Zimran