Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Default Formatting a merge field that contains both text and numbers

Hi Doug,

If the document has that kind of info elsewhere (eg because the full string is required in a particular location), one couldn't use
the 'Replace All' option - every instance would have to be stepped through. Conversely, if there is always a particular string
before/after the expression from which the numbers need to be deleted that doesn't appear elsewhere in the document, the
Find/Replace parameters could be modified to suit the 'Replace All' option.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote in message ...
If the number is always of the format -###-##-####, after executing the merge to a new document, you could to a Wildcard Replace
that replaces

-[0-9]{3}-[0-9]{2}-[0-9]{4}

with nothing.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Drew" wrote in message ...
I have a field that merges both text and a number to my document. I'd like
to supress the number and keep the text.

I'd like to go from this:
Text-123-45-6789
to this:
Text