Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Default Wordperfect Justification and Line Breaks

Hi Doug,

Under 'Word Options|AdvancedCompatibility Options ForLayout Options', there's an option to justify text the way WordPerfect 6
does. Essentially, this allows the space between words to be reduced a bit and can result in a more compact document. With that
option set, I can get a comma to start a new line by inserting a:
1. line/paragraph break;
2. standard space or hyphen; or
3. too many characters without spaces/hyphens to fit on the line,
before it, just as you can without it. There may be other ways (eg involving non-keyboard characters or the positioning of shapes),
but none of them represents something that happens in the ordinary course of creating a conventional document. And aside from the
foregoing, it's not something I've ever seen with this setting (which I've used as my default for years - possibly for over a
decade).

--
Cheers
macropod

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote in message ...
Exactly what settings have you invoked in Word 2007? Where do you set the WP spacing option?

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

wrote in message ...
Clarifications:

1. Word is formatting the text (sometimes) with line breaks
immediately before commas. Word makes the comma the first character in
the line.
2. There are no spaces (or any kind of white space) before the
commas.
3. If I disable the WP spacing option, Word DOES NOT put the commas at
the start of the line. Users encountering this get the choice of
Word's default justification (Yuck) or starting lines with commas.
4. It does not happen all the time. (Annoying infrequency).
5. Word 2007.