Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
angela g angela g is offline

Default Converting doc & docx files to RTF. One file grew very big

I had to edit several Word files and then convert them to PDF for posting on
a web site. The original Word files ranged in size from 100 - 500 kb. The new
PDFs didn't match the original files' sizes but they were also in that range.
Then I was told to make RTF format of each file. Now they range in size from
1 - 3 MB. OK fine, I know files are bigger when converted to RTF.

Except one of the files, the one that was 500 KB in Word .doc format, is now
15 MB. Way too big to post on the site or email to my colleagues. Why would
this file grow 30x in size when converted from doc to RTF, when all the
others grew no more than 10x more? I looked in the original Word doc and
can't find anything special in this file, why it grew so much, but there may
be something I'm missing.

Thanks.