Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Follow up question about application of original question.

I think Liontamer is overthinking this a bit ... Cross References
simply let you "refer" to anything that has a number assigned to it by
something-or-other automatic in Word, such as numbered headings and
footnotes and tables. (If you want to "refer" to something that isn't
automatically numbered, then you give it a Bookmark and the bookmarks
all appear in your Cross Reference box, too.)

About Full Context/No Context: Long-time readers will recall that I
edited linguistics articles where the examples are numbered and the
sub-examples are lettered. If I need a reference to examples 303a-c,
then my cross reference to 303a has "full context" and my cross
reference to 303c has "no context." (I have to type the dash between
them manually.)

It gets a little more complicated when you have an outline and you
refer from one subsection of an outline to an entirely different
section, or to a subsubsection within the same subsection, or the
other possibilities, but that's what No Context and Full Context are
for.

On Sep 18, 12:32*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
A bookmark is the "other end" of a cross-reference. Some items in Word
(headings, numbered items, footnotes, endnotes) are bookmarked automatically
by Word so that you can insert cross-references to them without explicitly
marking them. If you want to insert a cross-reference (or a hyperlink) to a
location that Word doesn't automatically bookmark, you have to insert the
bookmark yourself.

When you insert a cross-reference, you are inserting a REF field. If you are
in doubt as to which is your cross-reference, press Alt+F9 to display field
codes (or you can set field shading to "When selected," and the REF field
will then be shaded when you click in it).

The whole point of REF fields is to update if you change the bookmarked text
or the order of numbered items. But they don't update automatically. They'll
update when you print or Print Preview (assuming you have "Update fields"
checked on the Print tab of Tools | Options), or you can update them
manually with Ctrl+A, F9.

The "context" settings for heading numbering confuse me, too. I suspect
they're relevant only if you are using outline numbering (so that you have
paragraph numbers such as 2.2.1).

You can't jump from a cross-reference to the bookmark unless you have
inserted the Xref as a hyperlink. To return to the previous point after
clicking on any hyperlink, you can press Alt+Left Arrow, which is the
keyboard shortcut for the Back button on the Web toolbar.

"Liontamer" wrote in message

news

Okay, I know I'm jumping ahead in my learning process. *Actually I'm just
about finished with chapter 3 of SBS. *But I've got a document that I'm
working on now, and I want to learn more about using cross references.
Now,
even though the exercise previously discribed (see original question)
doesn't
work, I figured I'd try to use a document I'm working on to follow the
directions in SBS. *Well, I have got some idea of how this works. *But
I've
still have some issues:

1) What is the difference between a Bookmark and a Cross Reference?
So far: I can see that a book mark just allows you to access a special
location in a document. *And once it's set; you can just jump there again
using the Bookmark tab. *But a Cross Reference seems to do just about the
same thing. *With the only difference between the two links is that one
(the
bookmark) is invisible in the document print and the other (the cross
reference) is visible in document print. *Now, I'm pretty sure I've got
that
right. *But I wonder if there is any other real difference between these
two
options?

2) When I experiment with the Cross Reference option, following the
directions in SBS (pp 241-242), best I can using my own document, I notice
that when I choose Heading for the [ Reference type ] and Heading Number
for
the [ Insert Reference to ] and select [ a specific heading number in my
document ] boxes, then I insert an close the cross reference dialog
box--well
this raises several issues:

2a) First of all, Word 07 enters the Heading Number into my document text.