Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
svanesca svanesca is offline

Default close a page NOT the program in Word 2007

I realise that having followed the steps to obtain the X "Close Window" in
the top right corner of my screen, and then assigning it to the Quick Access
Toolbar . . . then returning to the Word Options and re-checking the "show
all windows in the taskbar€ť disables the function from working in the QAT . .
.. can anyone tell me how to reassign a working "Close Window" X in the QAT.
Thank you for your help.

I really am highly disappointed with Office 2007 [a newbie to this version -
I've had it less than a week] and I do not find it in the least bit intuitive
.. . . it is a steep learning curve and an absolute pain!

"svanesca" wrote:

. . . oh yes! several
. . . even assigned them with a name . . . to see if that was the problem .
. .
still no joy . . . any other thoughts??

Thank you for your reply

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Have you got a document open to close?

Terry

"svanesca" wrote in message
. . . having tried the idea of reinstating the familiar X to the top right
hand corner . . . why should this be at the expense of losing the
documents
on show in the taskbar?
. . . instead I elected to put the 'close window' on the quick access
toolbar. . . BUT it does nothing - it is greyed out and inaccessible -
any
ideas why this is so?
I should be grateful for any thoughts on the matter

"svanesca" wrote:

Thank you for all your replies ! I am very grateful for your imput. . .
and
have taken CyberTaz's advice to bring back the familia X -- Thanks!

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

As with most actions in Word, there's always nine ways to skin a cat!

Terry Farrell

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .
Two other thoughts;

One Click: Office Button Word Options - Advanced, clear the check on
"Show
all windows in the Taskbar". That will give you the familiar X on the
Menu
Bar, which is what you're accustomed to looking for in the past.

No Clicks: Use Control+W to close the current document window.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 9/22/09 5:23 PM, in article
, "svanesca"
wrote:

Thank you for your reply.
Once again I find Word 2007 far more complicated ... 2 clicks
instead of
the
1 in previous versions.

"Daddy" wrote:

You do this in Word 2007 almost the same way as in earlier versions
of
Word:
Click on the orb and select Close. (In earlier versions of Word:
Click
on
File and select Close.)

Daddy

"svanesca" wrote in message
1. I never was able to read the reply to my question about
setting the
ruler
to inches... (sent to my email- and although I clicked on the link
it
took
me
nowhere!) and never found the answer inthis forum either . .
though one
could
die of waiting I eventually tracked down the instruction... in the
help

my question now is:
How can I close the page I am working on.. without having to close
down
the
whole program? . . . it does seem a little crazy that I cannot
work
on a
document and then simply close it but that when I wish to start a
new
document I have to open up the whole program again ! it is most
annoying