Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default Table/figure caption: Bold label & table/figure number

My figure caption uses the built-in Caption style, but the Label and
Figure Number are not bold. What might cause the default bolding to
go away?

On May 23, 9:36 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
To add to what Stefan has said, the Caption style is bold by default, but
there is no reason you have to apply the Caption style to all captions. You
can have different ones for table and figure captions (though you'll have to
apply them manually, since the built-in Caption style is always applied to
captions inserted via Insert | Reference | Caption). This will result in a
difference in the way you generate the Table of Figures and List of Tables
(they'll have to be based on the label), but that should not be an issue.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message
How can I bold the label and table/figure number in a caption?

Apply bold formatting, or the Strong character style, to the label. There
is
no way to do this automatically, though, unless you create AutoText
entries
to insert the captions (instead of using the Caption dialog box).

P.S. I have different paragraph styles for table captions versus
figure captions. Table captions appear above their respective tables,
so I've turned on Keep With Next.

P.P.S. I tried to avoid having separate styles for the two but
sticking each caption along with its table/figure into a 2(h)x1(w)
table. The idea was to set a table property to prevent the two cells
from falling across two pages. Unfortunately, I haven't found such a
table property. Is there one?

You can format an entire table row as "Keep with next"; that will keep it
together with the following row (or with the following paragraph, if you
apply the formatting to the last row of the table).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP