Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Suppressing blank lines in a mailing label in Word 2007

You have not used CTRL+F9 for the extra field boundaries. However what you
should have is:

{ Mergefield FirstName }{ IF{ Mergefield MI } "" " { Mergefield MI }" }
{ Mergefield LastName } #{ Mergefield Member }[Enter]
{ Mergefield Address1 }{ IF{ Mergefield Address2 } "" "[enter]
{ Mergefield Address2 }" }[enter]
{ Mergefield City}, { Mergefield State } { Mergefield Zip }

press enter (or shift enter) only where I have put [enter]
Note the spaces and the quotes.

Oldsfan wrote:
Doug,

I really appreciate your help. I must really be stupid, because I
just cannot get this to work. It is really frustrating.

Let's try it this way -

Here is how my field construction looks before your suggested
solution. I have typed it EXACTLY as I see it - there's only so much
room on a label.

{ MERGEFIELD "FirstName" }{ IF {
MERGEFIELD FirstName }= "" """ """ ""
"" }{ MERGEFIELD "MI" }{ IF {
MERGEFIELD MI }= "" """ """ "" "" }{
MERGEFIELD "LastName" } #{
MERGEFIELD "Member" }[SHIFT ENTER]
{ MERGEFIELD "Address1" }[SHIFT ENTER]
{ MERGEFIELD "Address2" }[SHIFT ENTER]
{ MERGEFIELD "City" }, { MERGEFIELD
"State" } {MERGEFIELD "ZIP" }

With that, here is how my printed (or previewed) label looks -

John Smith Jr. #18
163 Walnut St.

Anytown, NY 00000-0000

Now, if I apply your suggested field construction, like this:

{ MERGEFIELD "FirstName" }{ IF {
MERGEFIELD FirstName }= "" """ """ ""
"" }{ MERGEFIELD "MI" }{ IF {
MERGEFIELD MI }= "" """ """ "" "" }{
MERGEFIELD "LastName" } #{
MERGEFIELD "Member" }[SHIFT ENTER]
{ MERGEFIELD "Address1" }[SHIFT ENTER]
{ MERGEFIELD "Address2" }{ IF {
MERGEFIELD "Address 2" } "" "{
MERGEFIELD "Address 2" }[SHIFT ENTER]
{ MERGEFIELD "City" }" "{ MERGEFIELD
"City" }" }, { MERGEFIELD "State" } {
MERGEFIELD "ZIP" }

Then my printed (or previewed) label looks like this:

John Smith Jr. #18
163 Walnut St.
MERGEFIELD
Anytown, NY 00000-0000

I take it I was to remove my previously inserted "City" field,
because if I don't, I get it twice. What am i doing wrong???

Thanks,

Paul

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

{ IF { MERGEFIELD "Address 2" } "" "{ MERGEFIELD "Address 2"
}[ENTER] { MERGEFIELD "City" }" "{ MERGEFIELD "City" }" }

Press the Enter Key (or Shift+Enter) in place of the [ENTER] above
so that the field construction is spread over two lines with the
line break coming after the "{ MERGEFIELD "Address 2" }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Oldsfan" wrote in message
I have been trying unsuccessfully for days to eliminate the blank
line on a merged mailing label because the "Address 2" field is
blank. Even though the
Mail Merge Helper is marked to suppress blank lines, it doesn't do
it. I was
able to use the if...then...otherwise rule to eliminate the extra
space due
to the lack of a middle initial, but I have been unable to apply it
to this
blank field. I have also tried alt+F9 to put the code in myself,
but have been unsuccessful. This shouldn't have to be this hard
just to print a decent looking mailing label. If I use the rule -
If Address 2 is blank, then "what?", otherwise "what?"?