Yes, the "conditional hyphen" (which you wouldn't be using in numbers) shows
Word that it is okay to hyphenate a word at that point. If the word comes at
the end of the line, Word will break it at the hyphen (which it then
displays) instead of wrapping the whole word to the next line.

"Ruth Levinson" wrote in message
Sorry - Must have hit enter or something while I was typing!

I started to say that when I hit Ctrl+Hyphen and then a number, only the
number shows up, not a hyphen character.

Thanks, Suzanne, for clearing that up for me! :-)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It sounds to me like he's typing the "conditional hyphen" (Ctrl+Hyphen),
which, when nonprinting characters are displayed, is displayed as a ¬
(character 00AC).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Ruth Levinson" wrote in

message
Chuck -
I'm not seeing the hook with the 2212 character, or the Ctl-Shft-dash

in
Times New Roman. What character are you typing?

"Chuck Davis" wrote:

Ruth, look closely. On my version of Word 2003, the character was

not a
straight line when using Times New Roman, but a little drop on the

end.
It
was correct with Verdana.
"Ruth Levinson" wrote in

message
Thanks so much to those of you who replied! That's just what I

needed.

Ruth

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Or you could use a minus sign (character 2212) instead. I also

use
this
as a
substitute for an en dash when the dash wants to break at the end

of
line.
And I ordinarily use an en dash instead of a hyphen for a minus

sign
because
it is the same width as the plus sign and the numerals.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"garfield-n-odie" wrote

in
message
Type a nonbreaking dash (Ctrl+Shift+hyphen) instead of a

regular
dash
before the number.

Ruth Levinson wrote:

When I type a line with a negative number like -4.00 at the

end,
Word
will
break off the minus sign and leave it at the end of the line,

and
put
the
4.00 on the next line. I can't figure how to keep Word from
automatically
splitting the minus sign from the number. If I catch it, I

have
go
in and
add spaces in the line to put the minus sign back with the

number
at
the
beginning of the next line.