Summer H Summer H is offline
Junior Member

Lisa/Stefan,

You were both very helpful- thanks. I decided to go with the special link because the F9 update was interfering with other Ref fields that I was using. However, I am now having an issue with special link which was working perfectly to start.

The document I am trying to create is a template. We will use it for every client meeting, so the individual will open it up and then save as. I have experimented with this a few times and a few different versions of the document, now I am getting a couple errors/warnings.

When I first open the doc I get this message: "This document contains link that may refer to other files. Do you want to update this document with the data from the linked files?" I always select yes. That's just annoying more then anything.

The next error is making the document unusable: "There is a problem saving the file.
Usually this is because the disk or floppy disk is too small for the file or is full, RAM memory is low, or there is a permission problem with the drive the file is being saved to.
If the amount of disk space for a paging file is low, save the file to another drive. If the RAM memory is low, increase available RAM. If permissions to the drive do not allow you to save to that drive, save the file to another drive or request permissions from the administrator to save files to the drive.
Note***This error can also occur if the computer is running a version of antivirus software that is incompatible with the Microsoft Office or must be updated."
Once I hit okay where it should have auto filled it says: Error! Not a valid link.

Any ideas?

Summer H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Wilke-Thissen View Post
Hi Stefan,

Note that bookmarking doesn't work with all types of content
controls. In particular, it doesn't seem to work with date picker
controls. STYLEREF will work, though.

bookmarking works also with date picker control. However, the field
will not update immediately. You have to press F9 or switch to Print
Preview.

The 4th alternative could be: Copy the picker content control. Then
paste special as link, and as unformatted text. A LINK field will be
created (instead of REF), that is updated automatically, when changing
the date.

--
Cheers
Lisa [MS MVP Word]