Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Default Total Page Count - Selected Sections

Hi Steve,

You can do this using section breaks and a formula field that subtracts the number of pages in the 1st Section.

First, insert a 'next page' section break between the table of contents and your first text page, then go into the header or footer
containing your page numbers for the 2nd section and unlink the header or footer from the 1st section. Now format the 'X' part of
the 'X of Y pages' to start from '1'. Next, insert a field in the:
.. 1st Section, coded as: {SET TOCSection {SECTIONPAGES}}
.. 2nd (& later) Section(s) for your 'Y' part of the 'X of Y pages', coded as: {={PAGE}-TOCSection}
A Print Preview will update the fields.

Note: The field braces (ie '{ }') are created in pairs via Ctrl-F9. This capability has existed for longer than you say you've been
waiting for a viable solution!

--
Cheers
macropod

"steve bradford" wrote in message ...
Just wondering if anyone out there knows how to add a total page count for selected sections of a document? The documents we
create (read every document we create) have a title page and a table of contents. Obviously, we do not wish pages in these
sections to be included in the total page count as it would cause the footer on the last page of the document to read 'page 120 of
122' leaving people to wonder where the other two pages are. I have been waiting since 1996 for Microsoft to offer a viable
solution to this problem, but alas ... Anyone got any ideas? )