Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Default Drop Down Menus Items Displaying Specific Content

OK, for this you will need a macro, and you're correct that a working
example is really the only way to show how to do it.

Download http://jay-freedman.info/sampleform.zip and unzip the
template inside it into your Word Templates folder (the location is
shown in the Tools Options File Locations dialog). Then use File
New to create a document based on the template. The top of the page is
the working form, and the bottom part explains how it works.

To adapt the template for your use:
- Use the File Open dialog, navigate to the Templates folder, and
open the template itself (rather than a document based on it).
- Click the lock icon on the Forms toolbar to unlock it.
- Move the fields around, change the text, add new fields, etc.
- If you change the names of the fields involved in the automatic
filling, you'll also have to change those names in the last few lines
of the macro.
- Put the correct data into the macro. [Note: The names listed in the
macro aren't actually used for anything; they're there to remind you
of the order to place the other data in. The names used in the form
are stored in the dropdown field, not in the macro.]
- Click the lock icon again to turn it on.
- Save the template.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 15 May 2006 15:01:01 -0700, trailerparkboy
wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply. I have checked those links and try and determine
what works best for me in this situation.

To answer your questions and be more specific, basically I have a Word
template that has some text fields. On this form there is a drop down menu
with the names of 3 people. When someone selects one of those names, a few
other fields will auto-populate with information specific to that person (ie
their e-mail address, title, etc.)

The user won't need to modify the results. They should be able to select a
different person for a different result. People will be saving this document,
printing it, or e-mailing it.

If I had a simple sample document of this in action, that would be ideal, so
I could modify it to my needs. I did some searching in this forum and found
some info on adding a macro, but I'm worried it would take me too long to get
it working.

Thanks!

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

I'm not quite clear on what kind of 'content' you want, but you might
be looking for an AutoTextList field
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...toTextList.htm).

If that isn't it, maybe it's something like this:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Toggle_Data_Display.htm

If I still haven't hit it, try explaining with a more specific example
of how you want the document to work. What phrases should be in the
dropdown (or maybe some other kind of list would do), and what sort of
'content' should be in the text box or field (or, again, something
else may be appropriate)? After the content appears, should the user
be able to modify it? Should they be able to pick something else in
the dropdown if they don't like the result? What should be the
ultimate use of the document (printing, emailing, extracting the
results into a database, etc.)?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

On Mon, 15 May 2006 14:06:02 -0700, trailerparkboy
wrote:

Hello,
Is it possible to have a drop down menu in Word, and then depending on which
item the user selects, only content specific to that item is displayed in a
text box or field???

Thanks!

Let me know if I'm not making sense.