Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default THIS MODIFICATION IS NOT ALLOWED BECAUSE THE SELECTION IS LOCK

That is indeed helpful feedback. Thanks for posting.

"SharonFinLV" wrote in message
Okay, this message appeared on me tonight when I created a new document
from
an existing document.

So of course, I searched for the message and could only find similar
installed, activated, validated, blessed, etc. And I was running Outlook
and
Excel at the same time with no problem. Grrr!!

And then I happened to hover my mouse over one of the dimmed buttons on
the
ribbon and saw this message in the tool-tip:

"This command is currently disabled. This command is not available because
the document is marked as final.

To turn off Mark As Final, click the Office Button, point to Prepare, and
then click Mark As Final.

Press F1 for more help."

You will also see the "Marked As Final" icon in the Status Bar, which
looks
like a paper being rubber-stamped.

Unlike opening a Read-Only document, using Save As to save the document as
new file does not turn off Mark As Final.

Hope this helps!