Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Help With Cross References

Numbering applied via the Numbering button is auto numbering, but it is far
from the best way to number anything important; you should instead be using
a numbered style. You are never "asked" to accept changes; it is something
you have to do voluntarily, but from the wording of your question I suspect
that you do not have Track Changes enabled. In any case, if your numbering
is auto (field) numbering and the cross-reference is being inserted as you
describe, then I can't imagine why you would be unable to update it with F9
unless it has been locked or unlinked. What does the cross-reference look
like when you press Alt+F9?

"Smita" wrote in message
Dear Suzanne,
I am not sure what do you mean by "auto numbering" in the references list.
I just typed in the reference list and numbered them using the "bullet"
function in the toolbar.
I am also not sure by what do you mean ".....until you accept all the
changes". When does it ask me to accept or not?? Is it during updating

the
cross reference?? I have never seen any dialog box pop up asking me to

accept
the changes or not while updating.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Can you confirm that you are using auto numbering in the references

list?
Also, note that if you are tracking changes, numbering of all sorts will

not
be correct until you accept all the changes.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.