Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mariacle mariacle is offline

Default DDE connection w/ Access & Word 2007

I have a database that, back in the days when we used Office XP I had no
problems with. Now that my office has migrated to Office 2007, I'm banging
my head against the wall trying to solve what seems like a simple problem.
This problem, by the way, exists in both the old Office XP versions of the
files and my newly created Office 2007 versions.

I have a parameter query in Access that feeds a Word mail merge. When I
open the file in Word, I get the error message "Word could not re-establish a
DDE connection to Microsoft Access to complete the current task."

I can then follow the options provided to re-connect to my query and run the
query. But next time I open the file, same problem.

I've done some searching and the first suggestion I came across said it was
a security issue and I needed to set Access to trust the location the file
was saved in. Did that, still doesn't work. I then changed the settings in
Word so it trusted the file location, still no luck.

So, back to searching, next suggestion I found basically said it wasn't
going to work on a network drive. This is a problem, as both the merge docs
and the access database will be used by multiple people, but for the sake of
testing, I copy it to my local drive, add the new location to my trusted
locations in both applications, and try again. Almost the same thing
happens. This time Access is actually launched, my database is opened, but
no message box to ask for my parameter.

How do I resolve this issue once and for all, so that my users will be able
to run the merge as needed?