Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevin8237 Kevin8237 is offline

Default Save as PDF Breaks Relative Links to Other PDFs

If you google something along the lines of:

word 2007 save as pdf relative hyperlinks

There's a bunch of very similar results. My basic scenario is, there's a
bunch of Word documents, they all have links to each other. They all need to
be PDF'ed and stored on a CD in the same folder.

So if I save it as PDF using the Microsoft Addin, the hyperlinks are turned
into LINK\ACTION\URI. When you click that in Adobe Reader, it asks "Security
Warning" "The document is trying to connect to file:///c|/blah blah blah.pdf.
If you trust the site, choose Allow. If you do not trust the site, choose
Block." / Help / Allow / Block.

Errr, what site? I'm trying to open a PDF in the same directory.

The secretaries have the fancy Adobe plugin to save files as PDF. And
theirs saves it as LINK\ACTION\LAUNCH...but it also saves the full path
rather than a relative one, so that's no better.

My solution was to (if you couldn't guess from terminology) process the PDFs
with iTextSharp to remove any absolute paths, and to convert LINK\ACTION\URI
to LINK\ACTION\GOTOR (LINK\ACTION\GOTOR and LINK\ACTION\LAUNCH both work OK).

So ... the effort on part of Microsoft to implement this would be ... an hour?

click "I Agree" in the message pane.