Davidgro

Default Suggestion: Allow {0,} in Find and Replace

I have not tested the other office products, but at least in Word, the find
and replace wildcards are very powerful but are missing a detail that would
make certain tasks much easier: the ability to say that the previous
character or expression can match zero or more times. very often I need to
run the same replacement multiple times just to catch cases where extra
spaces can appear or not, etc. and if I do so in the wrong order it can be
messy. An alternative would be a new character that would mean 'match the
previous character or expression zero or one times' and that could be
combined with the "@" or "{}" characters.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Graham Mayor

See http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm
[ ]{1,}
replace with
space
will remove duplicate (or more) spaces

Davidgro wrote:
I have not tested the other office products, but at least in Word,
the find and replace wildcards are very powerful but are missing a
detail that would make certain tasks much easier: the ability to say
that the previous character or expression can match zero or more
times. very often I need to run the same replacement multiple times
just to catch cases where extra spaces can appear or not, etc. and if
I do so in the wrong order it can be messy. An alternative would be
a new character that would mean 'match the previous character or
expression zero or one times' and that could be combined with the "@"
or "{}" characters.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Davidgro

Yes, but duplicates are not a problem. I frequently need to find Optional
spaces/elements. (In fact on the page you link you also complain of the same
issue)

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm
[ ]{1,}
replace with
space
will remove duplicate (or more) spaces

Davidgro

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Agreed, but your original example appeared to have been served by the
sequence quoted...

I guess I did word it badly. By "extra spaces" I meant individual spaces
where they aren't needed, not duplicates. Unfortunately there doesn't seem
to be an Edit Post option.

It is something you are going to have to work around I'm
afraid.

That's why this is a suggestion to MS. I'm temped to call it a bug, but it
might be harder to code than it looks, so I figure that makes it a feature
request.

Graham Mayor

The Microsoft forum to which you posted runs on the back of Usenet and the
Word newsgroups, which most regular contributors here access directly
(http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm ). To what extent Microsoft monitors the
forum I cannot say.

Davidgro wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Agreed, but your original example appeared to have been served by the
sequence quoted...

I guess I did word it badly. By "extra spaces" I meant individual
spaces where they aren't needed, not duplicates. Unfortunately there
doesn't seem to be an Edit Post option.

It is something you are going to have to work around I'm
afraid.

That's why this is a suggestion to MS. I'm temped to call it a bug,
but it might be harder to code than it looks, so I figure that makes
it a feature request.

Supposedly MS are committed to taking notice of and responding to Suggestion
posts that get some unspecified number of votes.

Davidgro wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Agreed, but your original example appeared to have been served by the
sequence quoted...

I guess I did word it badly. By "extra spaces" I meant individual
spaces where they aren't needed, not duplicates. Unfortunately there
doesn't seem to be an Edit Post option.

It is something you are going to have to work around I'm
afraid.

That's why this is a suggestion to MS. I'm temped to call it a bug,
but it might be harder to code than it looks, so I figure that makes
it a feature request.

Find and Replace GREEK symbols in XP, 2K & 97 Jazz Microsoft Word Help 3 April 8th 05 08:13 PM
Problem with function "Find and Replace" in Word. Pat Microsoft Word Help 3 March 16th 05 01:04 PM
Find and Replace Michael R New Users 11 January 22nd 05 05:31 PM
Find and Replace anomaly BruceM Microsoft Word Help 7 January 18th 05 05:47 PM
find and replace symbols Tewodaj New Users 8 January 11th 05 02:22 AM