Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe

Default Microsoft Word File Permission Error

I have been using a USB flash drive to store my word documents. Recently, I
have been unable to save my word documents because of a file permission
error. How do I correct this so I can use my flash drive again to save
documents? Also, there are many hidden temporary files on the USB drive.
Would this have any impact of the saving problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The temporary files are the issue. It is always undesirable to work directly
from removable media with Word. Floppy disks are the worst possible medium
and should be avoided like the plague, but USB flash drives can also be
problematical as orphan files can be left behind when you remove the drive.

Work from the hard drive, then copy the Word files to and from the flash
drive. In the meantime, with Word closed, delete all the temporary files
from the flash drive and copy those Word files to your hard drive and see if
you can salvage them all. Expect that one or two may be corrupt.

Joe wrote:
I have been using a USB flash drive to store my word documents.
Recently, I have been unable to save my word documents because of a
file permission error. How do I correct this so I can use my flash
drive again to save documents? Also, there are many hidden temporary
files on the USB drive. Would this have any impact of the saving
problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon Hooker

I had this problem recently, too. Our school IT engineer said it is becuse
the USB flash drives use an old file system so that they are backwardly
compatible with older machines and systems. He said the proble is the index
of files is too large. Creat a folder on the flash drive and put some older,
lesser used files in that folder. I did that, problem solved.
Simon Hooker

WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
Help! I'm getting error messages too much-can't open Resume Wizard LizLB Microsoft Word Help 0 May 3rd 05 01:46 AM