Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert Martin Robert Martin is offline

Default Date Display Problem

Using Office XP on Windows Xp Pro w/sp2

For some reason when I try to insert a date in Word I get
something like {DATE MM/DD/YY} or something like that.
in a grayed field.

Suggestions?

TIA

Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 20:02:52 -0500, "Robert Martin" wrote:

Using Office XP on Windows Xp Pro w/sp2

For some reason when I try to insert a date in Word I get
something like {DATE MM/DD/YY} or something like that.
in a grayed field.

Suggestions?

TIA

Robert

Press Alt+F9 to toggle between field codes and field results.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
djprius djprius is offline

In addition to what Jay said, in Word 2007 (I know you have Word XP)
there is an option "Show field codes instead of values". There might be
a similar option in your Word version; if so, it may be set, as the
default, to show the field code rather than the resulting value -- and
changing it would mean you wouldn't have to use Alt+F9 to get the view
you want.

David

Jay Freedman wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 20:02:52 -0500, "Robert Martin" wrote:

Using Office XP on Windows Xp Pro w/sp2

For some reason when I try to insert a date in Word I get
something like {DATE MM/DD/YY} or something like that.
in a grayed field.

Suggestions?

TIA

Robert

Press Alt+F9 to toggle between field codes and field results.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi David,

Yes, the option is present in the Tools Options View dialog in Word 2003 and
2002 (XP) also -- where it's a check box labeled "Field codes".

The Alt+F9 keystroke is merely a shortcut for checking and unchecking the box in
the options dialog. For example, if the box is unchecked and you press Alt+F9 in
the document, then go back and look at the dialog again, the box will now be
checked; and vice versa.

If you turn off field code display, that setting should stay in force until you
change it again, even through shutting down and restarting. If the setting
doesn't "stick", there may be a damaged entry in the registry (see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ngMenusEtc.htm for details).

************************************************* **

Jay Freedman wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 20:02:52 -0500, "Robert Martin" wrote:

Using Office XP on Windows Xp Pro w/sp2

For some reason when I try to insert a date in Word I get
something like {DATE MM/DD/YY} or something like that.
in a grayed field.

Suggestions?

TIA

Robert

Press Alt+F9 to toggle between field codes and field results.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
djprius djprius is offline

Thanks, Jay. I didn't know before your post that Alt+F9 toggled that
option -- and thus persisted.

David

Jay Freedman wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 20:02:52 -0500, "Robert Martin" wrote:

Using Office XP on Windows Xp Pro w/sp2

For some reason when I try to insert a date in Word I get
something like {DATE MM/DD/YY} or something like that.
in a grayed field.

Suggestions?

TIA

Robert

Press Alt+F9 to toggle between field codes and field results.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert Martin Robert Martin is offline

THANKS!!!!!

Robert

wrote:

Using Office XP on Windows Xp Pro w/sp2

For some reason when I try to insert a date in Word I get
something like {DATE MM/DD/YY} or something like that.
in a grayed field.
Suggestions?

TIA

Robert

Press Alt+F9 to toggle between field codes and field results.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.