Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nowwhatzup nowwhatzup is offline

Default it take a long time to display the contents of the File pulldown m

When in Word, the program is open and when I click on 'open' and pull down
the menu, why does it turn gray and 15-20 seconds later, the menu appears?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Saravanan Saravanan is offline

Hi "nowwhatzup",

I hope you are comfortable with your machine,
because this fix requires some registry modification. Here is the process:

1. Quit all Windows programs.

2. Click Start and then click Run.

3. In the Open box, type Regedit and then click OK.

4. Open the following registry key that is for your version of Word:

Word 2000:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Wo rd

Word 2002:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\W ord

Word 2003:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord

Word 2007:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord

5. Under the Word key, click the Data subkey.

6. On the Edit menu, click Rename or Delete(I prefer to select rename).

7. Click Yes if the following message appears:
Are you sure you want to delete this key?

8. On the Registry menu, click Exit.

9. Start Word.

Hope this helps!

Thank you,

Saravanan

"nowwhatzup" wrote:

When in Word, the program is open and when I click on 'open' and pull down
the menu, why does it turn gray and 15-20 seconds later, the menu appears?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nowwhatzup nowwhatzup is offline

Default it take a long time to display the contents of the File pulldo

Thank you for the reply Saravanan,

I won't be able to try this out until tomorrow, unfortunately, but wanted to
let you know I read your reply and wanted to thank you. I will let you know
if it works or not,

Thanks again,

Nowwhatzup

"nowwhatzup" wrote:

When in Word, the program is open and when I click on 'open' and pull down
the menu, why does it turn gray and 15-20 seconds later, the menu appears?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nowwhatzup nowwhatzup is offline

Hi Saravanan,

I'm playing around with the Word 2007 on another computer since I am not too
familiar with registry keys and what not, but when you said to click on
'data' and then rename it, what would I rename it to? And if the option of
delete is required, what would happen when I go to open Word and then go to
open a file?

Thanks again,

Nowwhatzup

"nowwhatzup" wrote:

When in Word, the program is open and when I click on 'open' and pull down
the menu, why does it turn gray and 15-20 seconds later, the menu appears?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Rename the key to Old data (with Word closed). Word will build a new one
when next started.
See http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm which shows how to
locate the registry key - Wored 2007 is Word 12.0 for this purpose.

"nowwhatzup" wrote:

When in Word, the program is open and when I click on 'open' and
pull down the menu, why does it turn gray and 15-20 seconds later,
the menu appears?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Saravanan Saravanan is offline

Hi "nowwhatzup",

Whenever you delete the data key, Word rebuilds the Word Data
registry key by using the default settings(its like reseting the word data
key). Renaming will be the best option so that you will have copy of data
key, You can rename it by adding any number or character with the existing
data key name.

If you delete the data key, it wont affect your system or any
application, the Steps which I mentioned is from the authorised Microsoft
website.So you can go ahead with the steps.

Thank you,

Saravanan
---- -- -----

"nowwhatzup" wrote:

When in Word, the program is open and when I click on 'open' and pull down
the menu, why does it turn gray and 15-20 seconds later, the menu appears?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Saravanan Saravanan is offline

Hi,

For your reference the Microsoft website link- how to delete the registry
data key of Microsoft Word application.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541/en-us

Article number - Kb 921541

Thank you,