gman

Default SAVE AS and EXPLORER WINDOW

When I select OPEN under FILE I have it set up such that D:/ shows up in the
Explorer-type window that appears. However, when I select SAVE AS for a
document I don't want D:/ to appear in the Explorer window that opens, but
rather I want to have DOCUMENTS and SETTINGS show up as the place to save the
document. Unfortunately, it appears that the two actions cannot be
separated. Whatever point is selected on the disk (i.e., Windows Explorer)
to appear in the Explorer window when OPEN is clicked winds up being the same
place that shows up in the Explorer window when SAVE AS is selected. I
cannot find any way to separate these two actions. I ask this because I
often don't pay attention to where I am saving something because many
programs allow you to set it up to save a file where you wish. Once it is
set up as such, if one for the most part always saves something to the same
place then one often never thinks about it again.
Charles Kenyon

Word lets you set a default folder for documents. This same folder is the
default for opening documents and for saving them.

If, as I suspect, you are opening documents that are forms, making changes,
and using Save As to save to a new name and location, you would be better
off saving your form documents as templates.
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.

Then use File New rather than File Open when you want a new document.
File New does give you selections from your templates folder (which is very
different from your documents folder).
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.