Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ms300game ms300game is offline

Default equations - can I italicize the numbers

I'm using MS Word 2007 and XP. When I have numerals in an equation, they
don't italicize but my letters do - why? Is it possible to italicize a
number inside of an equation?

Thank you for your assistance.

Michele
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] is offline

Hi Michele,

You can insert italicized numbers into equations by switching to normal text
by clicking the Normal Text button in the Tools group and then pressing
Ctrl+I to switch to italics. After you finish typing the italic numbers,
press Ctrl+Spacebar to return to unformatted text, just as you would do
outside of Equation Editor.

In Equation Editor the default style is italic letters and non-italic
numbers. This makes entering mathematical expressions easier in most cases
because it eliminates the need to switch between italics and normal text for
letters and numbers.

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"ms300game" wrote:

I'm using MS Word 2007 and XP. When I have numerals in an equation, they
don't italicize but my letters do - why? Is it possible to italicize a
number inside of an equation?

Thank you for your assistance.

Michele

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Dec 1, 9:49*am, ms300game
wrote:
I'm using MS Word 2007 and XP. *When I have numerals in an equation, they
don't italicize but my letters do - why? *Is it possible to italicize a
number inside of an equation?

Thank you for your assistance.

Michele

The "why" would be because it has been standard for a couple of
centuries to use italic letters but upright numerals in equations, and
the Equation Editor follows that tradition.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

ms300game wrote:
I'm using MS Word 2007 and XP. When I have numerals in an equation, they
don't italicize but my letters do - why?

It is standard math notation to show numbers with no special meaning in roman
type. Probably because normal numbers are not variables (which the letters
usually are).

Pam