Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Serendipity Serendipity is offline

Default Restart Numbering/Continue....

Using Word 2003. Why is the "restart numbering" sometimes greyed out in the
format numbering options. When this happens, I can sometimes format paint a
1. from another correct list, sometimes I have to double click the format
painter button. I have tried formatting from the menu bar, tool tips, right
click, and still sometimes nothing works. At present I am working with a
style I created from new but have had the same problem on default numbering.
It for sure says start at 1 in the options. I have often had this problem on
different computers. This document has 66 pages each of which has a numbered
list starting with 1.

Thanks for your help. I am going crazy.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If Word sees the current list as a separate list with a start at value other
than 1, you may not be able to "merge" the list with a previous one (by
using the context/right-click menu). Experimenting with the format painter
will then be your only option (as you have seen).

Note that you will have more control over numbering if you use an outline
list, letting higher levels restart lower ones.

For a description of the various restart options in Word 2003, see this
article: http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...artmethods.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP