Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Glaucon1 Glaucon1 is offline

Default Clarification: Select a word without automatically selecting ajoin

Sorry I didn't word the previous question correctly

Is there any way to: (a) turn off the "select whole word" option and (b) set
an option to select only the word itself by double-clicking (versus
dragging) - without automatically selecting the following space?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

a - Turn off from Tools options edit
(Word 2007 - Word Options Advanced Editing)
However double clicking will still select the entire Word and the following
space unless the word is followed by punctuation.

b. I am 99.9% sure that this isn't possible. Nor am I sure why it should be
an issue?

Glaucon1 wrote:
Sorry I didn't word the previous question correctly

Is there any way to: (a) turn off the "select whole word" option and
(b) set an option to select only the word itself by double-clicking
(versus dragging) - without automatically selecting the following
space?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Glaucon1 Glaucon1 is offline

Default Clarification: Select a word without automatically selecting a

Thanks Graham,

It's not a big deal by any means. But,

a) In general I don't like the "select whole word" feature and prefer it
turned off.

But

b) in the project I am working on I have to change the font color of key
words and phrases a lot. For a single word, it is simply easier to select by
double clicking rather than dragging. But the copy editors don't like the
spaces around the word included in the font change (for whatever reason).

Glaucon1 wrote:
Sorry I didn't word the previous question correctly

Is there any way to: (a) turn off the "select whole word" option and
(b) set an option to select only the word itself by double-clicking
(versus dragging) - without automatically selecting the following
space?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How about double-click to select the word + space, then Shift-left
arrow to deselect the space?

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Glaucon1 wrote:
Sorry I didn't word the previous question correctly

Is there any way to: (a) turn off the "select whole word" option and
(b) set an option to select only the word itself by double-clicking
(versus dragging) - without automatically selecting the following
space?

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use the replace function to change the colour of your key words/phrases eg
create a one column table with the Words or phrases to be changed and save
it. Enter the name and path of the table document where indicated.
Enter the formatting parameters you wish to add to the found texts at the
second place indicated - add or remove whichever formatting parameters you
require - see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm
The replace function will only replace the text selected and not the spaces.

Sub ReplaceFromTableList()

Dim ChangeDoc As Document, RefDoc As Document
Dim ctable As Table
Dim oldpart As Range
Dim i As Long
Dim sFname As String
'********************************************
'Name of document with table list
sFname = "D:\My Documents\Changes.doc"
'********************************************
Set RefDoc = ActiveDocument
Set ChangeDoc = Documents.Open(sFname)
Set ctable = ChangeDoc.Tables(1)
RefDoc.Activate
For i = 1 To ctable.Rows.Count
Set oldpart = ctable.Cell(i, 1).Range
oldpart.End = oldpart.End - 1
Selection.HomeKey wdStory
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
'****************************************
'set formatting options
.Replacement.Font.Color = wdColorRed
.Replacement.Font.Size = "14"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "Arial"
.Replacement.Font.Italic = True
.Replacement.Font.Bold = True
'****************************************
.Execute findText:=oldpart, _
ReplaceWith:="^&", _
replace:=wdReplaceAll, _
MatchWildcards:=False, _
Forward:=True, _
Wrap:=wdFindContinue
End With
Next i
ChangeDoc.Close wdDoNotSaveChanges
End Sub

Glaucon1 wrote:
Sorry I didn't word the previous question correctly

Is there any way to: (a) turn off the "select whole word" option and
(b) set an option to select only the word itself by double-clicking
(versus dragging) - without automatically selecting the following
space?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Glaucon1 Glaucon1 is offline

Thanks to all for taking the time to help. The Shift-Arrow strategy will
work best for me.

The table/replace strategy is great to know about, but what I didn't mention
is that each time I select a special word or phrase, I have to attach a
comment with an explanation.
So the issue is not merely a formatting matter.

Best in the New Year,

Reed