Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SailorJim SailorJim is offline

Default file will not open, or copy, or delete, or print

My wife was just working on her thesis in Word and one of her files won't
open now. She just went in and changed the header, then closed it, and now
it not only will not open in Word, but when I tried other ways to open it,
both wordpad and notepad said that access is denied.

The file does not show a full menu when right clicked, only open, new,
print, open with, and send to, but it won't print, I can't send it anywhere,
I can't rename it, and I can't even delete the damn thing.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Can you copy to another system?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"SailorJim" wrote in message
My wife was just working on her thesis in Word and one of her files won't
open now. She just went in and changed the header, then closed it, and
now
it not only will not open in Word, but when I tried other ways to open it,
both wordpad and notepad said that access is denied.

The file does not show a full menu when right clicked, only open, new,
print, open with, and send to, but it won't print, I can't send it
anywhere,
I can't rename it, and I can't even delete the damn thing.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You said if you right click. Have you tried locating the file in Windows
Explorer, highlighting it, then copying it to a floppy or CD?

I know - it seems like it's the same thing but I've seen computers do some
of the goofiest stuff.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

news

"SailorJim" wrote in message
My wife was just working on her thesis in Word and one of her files
won't
open now. She just went in and changed the header, then closed it, and
now
it not only will not open in Word, but when I tried other ways to open
it,
both wordpad and notepad said that access is denied.

The file does not show a full menu when right clicked, only open, new,
print, open with, and send to, but it won't print, I can't send it
anywhere,
I can't rename it, and I can't even delete the damn thing.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SailorJim SailorJim is offline

Cease fire ... problem solved.

Turns out that the wife changed the name of the folder holding the files
and, by making it a really long name (she loves names that tell exactly
what's in the files and folders), she exceeded the maximum length for the
path to that .doc, which locked down the file.

Sorry to have bothered y'all. Thanks anyway.