Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] colincurious@hotmail.com is offline

Default How to use an excel list of names in Word (that does not appear in table)?

I need to be able to convert names listed in an excel file (a few
columns eg. Mr Joe Bloggs)into a Word document. I then want to be able
to insert sub headings etc.

For example in excel:

A1 B1 C1
Mr Joe Bloggs
Mrs Mary James
Mr John kelly
Mr Henry Morris
Mr Mike Smith
Miss Stacey Timpleton
Mr Jimmy Young

I want to cut and paste it into Word to look similar but no cells
separating each word

Then create a list and insert sub headings within it:

Sublist A
Mr Joe Bloggs
Mrs Mary James
Mr John kelly

Sublist B
Mr Henry Morris
Mr Mike Smith

Sublist C
Miss Stacey Timpleton
Mr Jimmy Young

This list of names will need to be cut and pasted regularly from Excel
into Word.

Any tips appreciated.

Colin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] colincurious@hotmail.com is offline

Thank you Suzanne. I have tried this but after selecting insert merge
field' in Word only the first name on my database column is moved
across. When I insert the same code repeatedly so that the next name
the column is inserted below it won't do this. How do I get it to
create a list from my column of names?

Many thanks
Colin

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Use the Excel sheet as a mail merge data source. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...AMailMerge.htm

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Insert the merge fields once, then press Enter. Make sure that the merge is
set up as a Catalog or Directory merge. After you have created the mail
merge main document, you must merge to a new document to get the list.

ps.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Use the Excel sheet as a mail merge data source. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...AMailMerge.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

oups.com...