Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
d d[_2_] d d[_2_] is offline

Default How to control file size? My files get larger with every edit

There's bound to be an option to not keep versions or changes in the doc
file, but I just can't seem to find it. I have a file that I edit once a
week and save, and it gets bigger by 2-3KB every time. It's now over
700KB and it's only a one-page document with no graphics.

If I save it as HTML, then load the HTML and save back as a .doc, it's
down to 40KB. The only difference is that I lost a bit of formatting and
need to tabulate things a little bit. I notice that when I save as HTML
it warns me I'll lose Versions.

How can I turn off Versions being stored in the files? Also, are there
any other options I can set that keep my file size down? I have to email
this file every week and my uplink bandwidth isn't great, so I'd rather
keep the file sizes low.

Config: Office 2003 on XP service pack 2 (with all updates always done).
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Version control can bloat the file size, but this tends not to be part of a
default setting of the Normal.dot. If this is activated I am unsure how it
can be deactivated. Hopefully someone else can answer this.

One quick check though: File, Properties, Summary tab, Save Preview picture
is unchecked. This check can also bloat the file size.

Hope this helps
DeanH

"d d" wrote:

There's bound to be an option to not keep versions or changes in the doc
file, but I just can't seem to find it. I have a file that I edit once a
week and save, and it gets bigger by 2-3KB every time. It's now over
700KB and it's only a one-page document with no graphics.

If I save it as HTML, then load the HTML and save back as a .doc, it's
down to 40KB. The only difference is that I lost a bit of formatting and
need to tabulate things a little bit. I notice that when I save as HTML
it warns me I'll lose Versions.

How can I turn off Versions being stored in the files? Also, are there
any other options I can set that keep my file size down? I have to email
this file every week and my uplink bandwidth isn't great, so I'd rather
keep the file sizes low.

Config: Office 2003 on XP service pack 2 (with all updates always done).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Display formatting marks - CTRL+*
Copy all but the final paragraph mark to the clipboard and paste into a new
document based on the same template.
Version control is found on the File menu.

d d wrote:
There's bound to be an option to not keep versions or changes in the
doc file, but I just can't seem to find it. I have a file that I edit
once a week and save, and it gets bigger by 2-3KB every time. It's
now over 700KB and it's only a one-page document with no graphics.

If I save it as HTML, then load the HTML and save back as a .doc, it's
down to 40KB. The only difference is that I lost a bit of formatting
and need to tabulate things a little bit. I notice that when I save
as HTML it warns me I'll lose Versions.

How can I turn off Versions being stored in the files? Also, are there
any other options I can set that keep my file size down? I have to
email this file every week and my uplink bandwidth isn't great, so
I'd rather keep the file sizes low.

Config: Office 2003 on XP service pack 2 (with all updates always
done).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
d d[_2_] d d[_2_] is offline

DeanH wrote:
Version control can bloat the file size, but this tends not to be part of a
default setting of the Normal.dot. If this is activated I am unsure how it
can be deactivated. Hopefully someone else can answer this.

I just checked, the file was created from normal.dot definitely.

One quick check though: File, Properties, Summary tab, Save Preview picture
is unchecked. This check can also bloat the file size.

Checked, it's not set. Good tip though, I'll watch out for that

~dd
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There are a number of reasons for excessive file size, including:

1. Fast Saves: Disable this at on the Save tab of Tools | Options.

2. Preview Pictu Clear the check box on the Summary tab of File |
Properties.

3. Versions (File | Versions): Make sure "Automatically save version on
close" is not turned on.

4. Revisions (Tools | Track Changes):
Highlight Changes: Make sure "Highlight changes on screen" is turned on
(or that "Final Showing Markup" is displayed).
Accept/Reject Changes: If "Accept All" or "Reject All" is available then
revisions are present; accept or reject all changes, then turn Track Changes
off.

5. Keep track of formatting (Tools | Options | Edit). This is reportedly a
major cause of file bloat in Word 2002 and above.

6. Embedded True Type fonts (Tools | Options | Save); embedding fonts should
be avoided wherever possible.

7. Embedded linguistic data (Tools | Options | Save).

8. Embedded graphics: When feasible, it is preferable to link the graphics.
That is, when you insert the graphic, click the arrow beside Insert in the
Picture dialog and choose Link to File rather than Insert or Insert and
Link.

9. Embedded objects: These are even worse than ordinary graphics saved with
the document. If you see an { EMBED } code, the graphic is an OLE object.
Unless you need to be able to edit the object in place, unlink it using
Ctrl+Shift+F9.

10. File format: Make sure you are saving as a Word document; in some cases
..rtf (Rich Text Format) files are significantly larger than .doc files.

11. Document corruption: See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

"d d" wrote in message
There's bound to be an option to not keep versions or changes in the doc
file, but I just can't seem to find it. I have a file that I edit once a
week and save, and it gets bigger by 2-3KB every time. It's now over
700KB and it's only a one-page document with no graphics.

If I save it as HTML, then load the HTML and save back as a .doc, it's
down to 40KB. The only difference is that I lost a bit of formatting and
need to tabulate things a little bit. I notice that when I save as HTML
it warns me I'll lose Versions.

How can I turn off Versions being stored in the files? Also, are there
any other options I can set that keep my file size down? I have to email
this file every week and my uplink bandwidth isn't great, so I'd rather
keep the file sizes low.

Config: Office 2003 on XP service pack 2 (with all updates always done).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
d d[_2_] d d[_2_] is offline

Graham Mayor wrote:
Display formatting marks - CTRL+*
Copy all but the final paragraph mark to the clipboard and paste into a new
document based on the same template.
Version control is found on the File menu.

Well that certainly got me a fresh start and I didn't lose my
formatting. File size reduced from 718KB to 39KB and no change at all in
the visible content

Thanks !

~dd
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
d d[_2_] d d[_2_] is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
There are a number of reasons for excessive file size, including:

snip

Wow, tons of info. Thanks a lot. I'm going through the list and will
report on which was the culprit
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
d d[_2_] d d[_2_] is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
There are a number of reasons for excessive file size, including:

5. Keep track of formatting (Tools | Options | Edit). This is reportedly a
major cause of file bloat in Word 2002 and above.
7. Embedded linguistic data (Tools | Options | Save).

OK, these were the only two I had set. Toggling them off made the file
5KB smaller, but it's still well over 700KB.

I think I'll just start again with my copy/new/paste'd fresh-start doc
and see how it goes If I'm just changing dates/times/numbers inside
the doc then it definitely shouldn't get any bigger unless it's tracking
changes or storing multiple versions (as delta change macros or something).

Thanks !!

~dd